Thursday, July 25, 2013

What Should I Believe?


Something I commonly get asked is, what do you believe in? Although I know they are talking about religion, I really just want to bombard them with all my morals and values. I feel like this question is a double-edged sword. They seem interested and want to know more about who I am, but my answer could totally be the defining moment in our relationship, whether it bonds us for life or keeps us at an arms distance. I feel like there is a lot of pressure on people to choose a religion or a faith and stick with it or be shunned by your community, but it doesn’t have to be that way.

I was born and raised in a Right-winged, conservative, republican, Christian home. I went to church every Sunday and would go out to eat with my family afterwards. I remember the day when I realized, “Christianity is all opinion? It’s not necessarily true?” This blew my world apart. I started looking at the world more critically. In fact, I denounced my faith and to this day I have not claimed one for my own. Now, when I explain this to people, I tell them, “I don’t believe in anything.” Immediately, my response is, so your atheist. No I am not. Oh so you are agnostic gotcha! No I am not. I am my own person, with my own beliefs and morals. Yes I do have some similar values that other religions hold, but I haven’t found one that I agree with completely.

When it comes to it, you should never feel pressured to be a part of a community you don’t agree with 100 percent. You don’t have to accept truths that are, well… not so true. Be real with yourself and determine what you think is right or wrong. When you find these answers for yourself and stop depending on outside influences, your spirit will thank you and you will be liberated from oppressive judgement. As always, I would love your feedback and even your opinion on the matter. If you ever have questions or comments me and Adam would love to share an open-minded and open-hearted conversation with you.
Peace!


Jordy

No comments:

Post a Comment