Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My journey to San Francisco

In the beginning of May of this year, I was going through one of the greatest struggles of my life. I had recently gone through a break up that nearly destroyed me, I lost a good amount of my identity and anger was coursing through every vein in my body. I wanted to explode. I was so out of touch with myself that I didn't know how to even deal with being alone. I was trying to find myself and failing. I almost jumped into the military but two weeks before I was going to sign my military contract I had an accident and dislocated my hip and a section of my spine. I was a mess. My sister has been living in San Francisco for 5 years now and had been pushing me to move up here. Not only would we be closer to each other, but the opportunities here are so much greater than where I was. In a week I decided San Francisco was the place for me. I moved in with my sister on May 12th under the pretense that I was going to be in my own place by June 1st. An easy task, however, I had barely any money in my pocket and I was completely unfamiliar with the city. I didn't have a car, no jobs lined up, nothing. The only people I had for any type of help was my mom, her boyfriend and my sister. I decided this was my last real chance to do something I wanted, something I desperately needed. I threw myself into the city. I was going to eat San Francisco alive and become everything I knew I could be. Immediately, I had people voicing their discomfort with my move. It seemed only my family had faith in me. Failure is never an option for me but I was already thinking that myself, but to hear that voiced consistently  was hard to bare. Within a week of being in the city, I had a job, after two weeks, I had two jobs. Then I found my place. It was perfect. 10 blocks from my sister, right next to Golden Gate Park. I have always lacked confidence when it came to public transportation, the smell, the feeling of being disoriented and lost was something I had to battle every time I got on the bus. But now, it was easy. Too easy, actually. Everything has come so easily to me since I've been here. I moved into my own place on June 1st and have managed both jobs. I have worked my ass off, I have thrown myself at this city, and she has welcomed me with open arms. For the first time in my life I feel as if I belong to something so much greater than myself. I am truly happy and I have discovered so much more of myself by doing this. The inner workings of my mind, the test of my heart and mind have amazed me. I possess such a great amount of strength and love and I see that now. I wanted to share this story with you because you always need to remember that nothing is permanent. If you're unhappy, change it. Change where you are, change who you are, you have the ability to become exactly who you want to be. So, I encourage you to do what you want to do. We have one shot at this life and any time spent being alone, depressed or unhappy isn't right. Find your happiness in yourself, test yourself and learn to love who you truly are. Good luck on your path, if this story is able to help one person, it's been worth it. I wish all of you the best.



~Ace

No comments:

Post a Comment