Sunday, September 22, 2013

Journey with the Ronin of light (Part 1)

This is a short story I wrote, just wanted some feedback to see what you all think. Thanks for the help guys!

~Ace

I began to collect my thoughts, I tightened my grip on the hilt of my sword and took a deep breathe.  In front of me my opponent stood beneath the faint moonlight. He was a massive creature, with no facial features. From a distance they almost looked like men, but their movements gave them away. They moved with the shadows, gliding over complete emptiness. I hated every part of these damned creatures.

 My shirt was torn, my hair ran through my eyes and the mark his blade left bled from my shoulder. This is not how I wanted things to go.
Rain began to pour from the heavens. Our eyes met and I rose to my feet. Rage boiled inside my heart but I had to keep a cool head. Emotions get you killed in this world. I focused on my next move and began to see the blade cutting through this creature in my mind's eye. But before I could execute my perfect attack, my opponent lunged forward, his sword high, ready to end this fight. I was more than ready. He thought because he was larger than I was that he posed some type of threat to me. The fool. All samurai knew that the only true power comes from the heart. But this thing was no samurai. I would show him just how strong my heart  really was and these creatures will learn to fear that strength.

In an instant, his blade came down my center. I side stepped against the blade and sliced through his abdomen, in one motion I turned back to face him. You would think a blow like that would end any man's life and normally you would be correct, but these were much darker times than you have endured. These creatures came from shadow. They had no remorse, no compassion, no heart. I watched the beast smirk as black smoke began to seep through the cut I had just made. Once again, rage began to swell inside of me, an ever growing fire that was howling for the end of this creature. I would not control my anger this time. I leapt into the air with a shout and cut through it again.

Instead of black smoke coming from the wound, light began to stream from it like a small river. Now the creature wasn't smirking. Now, it was my turn to smile as the creature became a ball of light and vanished. I don't really understand why I have this power, no one I have ever crossed could defeat these beasts. I'm not even the strongest swordsman. I have only practiced this art for 18 years, from the time I was 6 years old. There are masters that have been perfecting this art their entire lives that would put my skill to shame in seconds, my father among them. I tried not to question why I was the only one who could eradicate this darkness from our lands but I would find out why. There had to be a reason, there was always a reason, always a purpose behind every action... Right?

 It has always been in my nature to be curious. I have lived as a ronin for quite some time, it's the simple life I have always wanted. Traveling from place to place, practicing my martial art under waterfalls, on mountain tops, and deserts, experiencing life and nature was who I was.  I have always been content with my life and myself but unfortunately, that time was over. Now, I lived in a state of constant attack. I didn't rest, I didn't have companions or loved ones here, the only real things to me now is the heart in my chest and the blade in my hand. That is all I needed and all I could rely on anymore. 

Darkness was seizing our lands, taking everything we held most dear. But I knew light still existed. It had to. Darkness cannot exist without light and I would find that light and restore the balance of this place by any means necessary. The rain began to harden. It cleansed my skin. I looked up into the dark sky, took a deep breathe and let the water run through me. Even this awful time had it's benefits. Even now, balance could still be found. That helped.  I sheathed my sword, picked up my pack, and headed towards the faint light of the moon. A glimmer of that light was all I needed, just a small glimmer of hope and I would give myself to it completely, with arms wide open.


No comments:

Post a Comment